As fall begins to creep up on us, so do those lingering goals of finding a better job before the holidays begin. And as you know, the holidays always seem to begin right after you order that first Pumpkin Spice anything.
I get it, it seems like time’s running away from you, and landing your dream job will forever be more of a dream than a reality. Well, I’m here to tell you that it’s not too late for you to find a position you love by Thanksgiving (which, as a bonus, will make your aunt’s questions about what exactly you do for a living exciting again).
In fact, there’s a lot more you can do this fall to reach that goal than you think. And I’ll prove it to you—here’s what you can and should put on your to-do list today to get closer to a job you love:
- Step one: Update and edit your resume. Just do it.
- Then, check to make sure it’s ATS-ready and will make it past the bots and into human hands.
- Make a point to schedule a coffee meeting this week, whether it’s with an old co-worker, your former boss, or someone you admire in the field. Do that every week until you land something new.
- Hire a career coach or contact a potential mentor to get some direction (and some accountability).
- Revamp your LinkedIn profile in 30 minutes with tons of keywords so recruiters can poach you.
- And, also, write a kick-ass summary for it.
- Send out the “I’m looking for a new job” email to your network. Once you hit send, there’s no turning back.
- For that matter, just start talking about your job search to your friends and family so they can keep an ear out for awesome opportunities.
- Spend 15 minutes every day browsing job postings.
- Join a Facebook group in your industry so you can hear about openings before they go public.
- Or, connect with one new person you admire on LinkedIn in your field—but make sure to do your research and personalize your message.
- Spend 30 minutes writing one cover letter to a job you’d like to apply to (yes, it’s that easy).
- Crowdsource your search by hosting a “Help me find me a job!” get-together at your home (it really works!).
- Make a list of all the reasons you want a new job—and tape it to your bathroom mirror, or hang it on your fridge as a constant reminder.
- Finally, actually kick start your job search in just 30 minutes with this easy guide!
All it takes is baby steps to reach that big goal of yours. So get the ball rolling today—because this is your year to shine, not next.
(Quoted from https://www.themuse.com)